Skip to main content

Health Services Library: Membership

Joining the Health Services Library

Anyone can use the Health Services Library for reference purposes. If you want to borrow items from us, you need to register for Library membership.

University of Southampton Students

When you enrol as a University of Southampton student, you will receive an application form for a student ID card. This student card is also your Library membership card. You will need to bring it with you whenever you want to use the Library.

If you are a nursing student following a "Learning Beyond Registration" course with the University of Southampton, we can supply you with a Library card - but this card can only be used in the Health Services Library. We will need to know your student ID number to register you.

University of Southampton Staff

If you work for the University of Southampton you will be issued with an identity card at the beginning of your employment. This also serves as your Library membership card. Please bring it with you whenever you want to use the Library.

University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust (UHS)

All UHS staff are entitled to join the Health Services Library. You will need to complete a registration form in the Library or complete our online registration form.

We aim to process your registration within two working weekdays, and we'll send you an email with your library card number and PIN. Your card will be sent out to your place of work so please ensure that you give your full work address.

NHS Staff Working in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight

If you work for the NHS in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight your local NHS library should be your first port of call for resources and support.

However, the Health Services Library offers all NHS staff working in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight a basic lending service and the use of IT facilities, including internet access.

To join the Health Services Library you need to come to the library bringing ID that proves you are an NHS employee (e.g. ID card or pay slip).

Students From Other Universities on Placement at UHS

If you are a student on placement at UHS, you are entitled to use the Health Services Library during your placement. You will need to come along to the Library and complete a registration form. You will need to provide:

  • Details of the Institution where you are studying, including the School and contact name of your tutor (if you have your student ID card, please bring that with you)
  • Proof you are on placement with UHS

We will have your Library card ready for collection in two working days. Please bring your Library card with you whenever you use the Library.

Health Care Staff Working for Non-NHS Organisations

If you work for a non-NHS health care organisation in Hampshire & the Isle of Wight, please contact the Health Services Library to check your eligibility for membership.