The H.F.C. Library includes material on the regional history of Great Britain, with a particular emphasis on ecclesiastical buildings, ranging from the cathedral to the parish church. There is also a general section on architecture and a small amount of material on natural history.
The collection includes the H.F.C.'s own publications and 13 volumes of programmes and press cuttings which document its activities from 1885 to 1933.
The H.F.C. acquires journals by exchange with other English local history societies, many of these titles are shelved in the general periodicals sequence at per C-F.
Extent: Over 800 books and 70 periodicals, mainly 20th century publications.
Location and Access
The H.F.C. Library is part of Special Collections on level 4 of the Hartley Library.
The books are shelved in the Special Collections open access area and can be used whenever the Library is open.
COVID-19 and External Users
Social distancing measures mean that our libraries have reduced capacity and we regret that at present we are unable to offer access to the Hampshire Field Club Library to alumni, members of the public, External Borrowers and SCONUL Access Users. Please contact email@example.com with any enquiries.
Hampshire Field Club & Archaeological Society was founded in 1885 for the study of the natural history and antiquities of the county. It is organized in five sections: archaeology, historic buildings, landscape, local history and the New Forest. Each section contributes to the programme of lectures, field meetings, exhibitions and conferences, and to reports of these activities in the Newsletter.
The Hampshire Field Club has published its Proceedings (now Hampshire Studies ) since 1885 and also supports a series of monographs on selected subjects.
The Library of the Hampshire Field Club was placed on deposit at the University Library in 1964.