Top 10 Checklist
If your funder requires you to write a data managment plan (DMP), follow that funder's current advice. If your funder has no specific requirements or your research is unfunded, this checklist is for you.
Click on heading for more details.
- How much data will be generated?
- Where will they be stored and backed up securely?
- How much will this cost?
- What types or formats
- Who will own the rights to that data?
- Will any existing data sets from other providers need to be used during the project?
- Do they have licensing terms or provisions?
- Are there any specific data management roles and responsibilities in addition to those outlined by relevant policies?
- Is there a need for specialist software or services to generate, manage or visualise the data?
- How will you name your files and describe your data so you and others can easily locate/re-use the data?
- Is there a discipline/community standard?
- How will the other collaborators (including external partners) use the data during the course of the project and for what purpose?
- What access will they need and how will this be facilitated, with secure access/data transfer where required?
- Which data need to be stored in the short term?
- Which are identified as significant, with reference to relevant policies, and are to be stored in the longer term to meet any retention requirements?
- If this is not definitive at the start, how will this be decided during the course of the project?
- What is the best archive format for long term use?
- Where are significant data best archived?
- Will the data be published or made available?
- Who will use the data and will they need additional information to re-use the data effectively?
- Are there any funder requirements to share data?
- Will any of the data be confidential or should it be kept confidential initially e.g. because of commercial application or ethical considerations?
- Will you need written consent from any participants to share/re-use the data beyond the project?
- Will you need to obtain permission to publish re-used data?
A more detailed checklist is available from the Digital Curation Centre DMP checklist