Academic Engagement Librarians work in partnership with academic staff to purchase and develop the print, electronic and audio visual collections.
The form of partnership will differ. For some disciplines our librarians have an active role in ordering and updating stock, in others the majority of selection is carried out by academic staff. Partnership extends to monitoring, where the Academic Engagement Librarians monitor the budget allocation in collaboration with academic staff.
In all cases the Library provides:
- Advice on locating references
- Pre-order checking and reporting
- Ordering and receipting
- Cataloguing, classifying and processing
- Early alerts on heavily used stock
- Ordering for second-hand dealers' lists
- Advice on applying for funds from the Library Strategic Fund
- Monitoring reports on expenditure
- Books on approval (ONLY at the National Oceanographic Library).
Maintaining a balanced budget and a balanced collection is a challenge. Purchasing policy should take into account:
- Start-up requirements for new programmes and developing research interests
- Maintaining a balanced collection between teaching and research material, and different subject areas
- Interdisciplinary links
- The number of copies likely to be required
- The loan period, either long loan, 1 week or Course Collection (overnight)
To speed up the ordering service we ask you to send any orders to firstname.lastname@example.org. It takes on average 4 weeks for us to receive items and therefore to avoid disappointment we need orders as early as possible.