Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This guide will direct you to resources which will help you to develop your IT skills.
Common IT enquiries in the Academic Skills Hub
Online learning courses
- You have access to a large library of video tutorials for free via the University’s LinkedIn Learning.
- These high-quality courses will help you develop your skills with core software such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as more specialised applications such as Matlab, R or SPSS.
- There are also courses to help with your personal development and business skills.
- All the courses are divided in to bite sized chunks so, if you want, you can jump straight to the feature you want to learn without having to watch the whole course.
There are LinkedIn Learning pages for all five faculties and further pages for the schools/departments:
Arts and Humanities
Engineering and Physical Sciences
Environmental and Life Sciences
A-Z training resources for key software supported by iSolutions
The A-Z training resources list curated by iSolutions staff includes user guides and relevant online courses for students, PGRs and staff to support use of software provided by iSolutions such as Word, Excel, SPSS, PowerPoint and Blackboard
- iSolutions have created an online guide aimed at PGRs to show you how to use a range of useful Word features to make creating and working with your thesis easier.
- The guide includes links to a thesis template that meets with the University’s guidance for completing a research degree.
- A support guide is also available for both PC and Mac.
- iSolutions provide support seminars on the use of Word for PGRs and staff writing a thesis and on use of the template. These can be booked via Doctoral College workshops for PC and Mac users.
- iSolutions have created an online guide aimed at Undergraduates to show you how to use a range of useful Word features to make creating and working with your dissertation easier.
- The online guide includes links to a dissertation template which is designed to help you create a well-presented and organised document .
- The online guide is available for both PC and Mac versions of Word.
- In addition there is an online course showing a range of features useful for those using long documents like a dissertation - Word 2016 Creating long documents (on a PC)
- The following three workshops run by the Library have been recorded via Panopto to provide further support with the many aspects involved in writing your dissertation (undergraduate and Masters), final year project or extended report:
iSolutions for general IT problems
- University services including setting up off campus access (VPN)
Chat with an expert to solve your EndNote problem.
- Official EndNote Support - Chat with an expert using the online Chat Box provided on the page.
- The website also includes a Knowledge Base created by the production team to help you find answers to any problems you have using EndNote.
- Additional information about support and training on our library EndNote pages
Laptop and gears icon image by D. Line/Shutterstock. Image ID:304517573.
IT Skills – Frequently Asked Questions.
Online learning courses from LinkedIn Learning
A-Z training resources for key software provided by iSolutions
iSolutions for general IT problems
Thesis - guidance for using Word and the University of Southampton thesis template for Word is available on the Thesis SharePoint site (University login required to access the site)
Thesis - guidance and advice on thesis including information on where to find templates for Word or LaTeX, e-Theses, copyright, data deposit and finding theses by University of Southampton Library
Dissertation - guidance for using Word and the University of Southampton dissertation template
Online course Word 2016 Creating long documents - demonstrates a range of features useful in long Word documents like a dissertation.
Accessible PDF - This online guide is for students who are writing up their thesis using MS Word 2016 and want to ensure that their PDF meets accessibility criteria.
Endnote - Further information about support and training on our EndNote pages