Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Registering for SciFinder-N
SciFinder-N's one-time user registration allows you to create your own SciFinder-N username and password (used also for Keep Me Posted! alerts, and other personalizable features). You must set up your own username and password for Scifinder-N from a computer within the University of Southampton's networked IP range.
Go to the user registration form (see the user registration guide [pdf] for additional information).
- Click Next
- Enter your contact information
- Specify a username and password
- Your username must be unique and contain 5-15 characters. It can contain only letters or a combination of letters, numbers, and/or these special characters: - (dash), _ (underscore), . (period), @ (at symbol)
- Your password must contain 7-15 characters and include:
- Mixed upper- and lowercase letters
- Non-alphanumeric characters (e.g., @, #, %, &, *)
- Select a security question from the drop-down list and provide the answer.
- Click Register.
- An Almost Finished message indicates that you will receive an email message from CAS at the address you provided within the form.
- Open the email message from CAS in order to complete the registration process. If you accept the terms and conditions for using SciFinder-N, click the link within the email message to complete the registration process. A confirmation page is displayed.
SciFinder, the online version of Chemical Abstracts, is the main database for chemistry. It provides easy access substance and reaction information, patent and journal references. It is for individual, not-for-profit use only. Personal registration