Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Borrowing a laptop
- We have made our Library laptop loans more flexible. You can borrow a laptop for use in the library, around campus or at home for up to one week.
- To borrow a laptop you will need your student ID card.
- Chargers and bags can be issued as a separate loan from a help desk.
- If you have a blocked account you will be unable to borrow a laptop. Please see the desk for advice.
- By borrowing a laptop you are agreeing to the user declaration.
- Accessible reach laptops are available at both Hartley and the Health Services Library.
Using the laptop off campus
- Before you take the laptop off campus, follow this step to enable you to use the laptop at home: login with your university username and password whilst connecting to Soton wifi on campus.
- Need advice on how to access the University remotely? IT Help have a page called Away from campus to help you get started.
Returning a laptop
- Please return laptops to same library you borrowed it from.
- Laptop loans cannot be renewed. If there is availability, you will be able to take out a different laptop for a further week.
- When returning the laptop to its locker, remember to plug the laptop into the cable in the locker to remove the loan from your account
Keeping you safe
- All returned laptops will be quarantined in the locker for 72 hours before becoming available to borrow again.
- Return your charger and laptop bag to the library help desk where these will also enter a quarantine period before reuse.
- We have a cleaning station next to the laptop lockers with sanitiser and wipes for you to use.
If you have a problem
- When you borrow the laptop and are still on campus please visit the help desk
- Contact IT Help to report an issue with the laptop if you are at home.
- If you have an issue with returning your laptop contact email@example.com
Laptop top tips
- Remember to save your work regularly either to ‘file store’ or to a personal storage device (USB). Work saved locally will be deleted when the laptop reboots.
- If you would like support in borrowing or using a laptop, please ask at the Library Help Desk