Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Can't Find What You're Looking For?
- If the University doesn't have the book you need, email us to suggest a book for the library
- If the book is only available in print, email us to let us know and we will do our best to get hold of an ebook for you
To connect to library resources such as databases and journals you will need to use the University’s VPN service called Globalprotect. Advice on how to set your connection up can be found on the iSolutions page How do I set up VPN on my device?
Unpaywall, Open Access Button and CORE Discovery are all Chrome and Firefox extensions that find legal open access copies. Open Access Helper works the same way for iOS and Safari
- Kopernio a Chrome extension that finds articles from our library subscriptions and open access versions
Google: if you find an article that is behind a paywall, try copy & pasting the article title into a search engine. If there is a copy in a repository it will often display on the first page of search results
Still no luck? Try our interlibrary loan service. We will try our best to get hold of articles for you, although it may not be possible or be delayed while libraries are closed
PhD/ MPhil theses
- the library holds print copies of all University of Southampton doctoral level theses; these are listed on WebCat
- many of these are now also available online from ePrints Soton
Undergraduate/ taught masters dissertations
- The Library does not normally hold undergraduate or taught masters dissertations
National Library Catalogues
Here are a few links to other European National Libraries.
Gallica is the digital library of the Bibliothèque nationale de France. It provides access to over 2 million documents.
The resource offers a huge range of fully-indexed, extensively linked, up to date, and cross-searchable dictionary, language reference, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press, including detailed information across a broad subject range from titles in the world-renowned Oxford Companions series...more info
Oxford English Dictionary Online (OED)
A guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of 600,000 words past and present, from across the English-speaking world. Find the history of individual words, and of the language, traced through 3 million quotations, from classic literature and specialist periodicals to film scripts and cookery books.