Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The REF (Research Excellence Framework) is a research assessment to secure the continuation of a world-class, dynamic and responsive research base across the full academic spectrum within UK higher education.
REF2021 open access policy stated that, to be eligible for submission to the REF2021, authors’ final peer-reviewed manuscripts (journal articles and conference proceedings) must have been deposited in an institutional or subject repository on acceptance for publication. This policy applied to research outputs accepted for publication after 1 April 2016, and is expected to continue for the REF-after-REF2021.
The three purposes of the REF:
- To provide accountability for public investment in research and produce evidence of the benefits of this investment.
- To provide benchmarking information and establish reputational yardsticks, for use within the HE sector and for public information.
- To inform the selective allocation of funding for research.
Please visit the REF website for more information. https://www.ref.ac.uk/about/what-is-the-ref/
What the Library will do
- Add the correct manuscript embargo if required
- Add the correct licence information to support reuse
- Update your record with complete metadata, including published dates, when available
- Provide you with advice and answer queries. email email@example.com
- Check your accepted manuscript supports an in-text search
Research England stated that for REF2021:
"Any output submitted to the next REF that falls within the scope of this policy but does not meet its requirements or exceptions will be treated as non-compliant. Non-compliant outputs will be given an unclassified score and will not be assessed in the REF."
Thinking ahead to REF2028? The open access policy relating to journal articles and conference proceedings is expected to continue for the REF-after-REF2021.
For help or advice with any Open Access or institutional repository (ePrints Soton) query: